Women, Infant & Children (WIC) Supplementary Food Program
WIC Supplementary Food Program is a nutrition program that helps pregnant women, postpartum/breastfeeding mothers, and young children under the age of 5 eat well, learn about nutrition, and stay healthy.
We provide healthy foods along with nutrition and health education to help you and your family be healthy. We provide support and education to breastfeeding mothers including breast pumps when necessary. We will help find appropriate health care and community resources.
WIC provides checks that can be used to purchase healthy foods such as:
- Whole grains
- Fruits and vegetables
- Milk or Soymilk
- Soy Milk
- Cereal or oatmeal
- Beans – either dried or canned
- Jarred baby foods & infant cereal after 6 mos. old
- Canned fish – breastfeeding women only
- Peanut butter – Infant formula
WIC is for all kinds of families: married & single parents, working and not working. If you are a father, mother, grandparent, foster parent or other legal guardian of a child under 5 years of age, you can apply for your child.
You Can Participate in WIC if you:
- Live in Alaska AND
- Have a nutritional need (WIC staff can help determine this) AND
- Have a family income meeting WIC Income Eligibility Guidelines AND
- Are one of the following client types:
- Breastfeeding woman of an infant up to 12 months of age
- Less than 6 months postpartum with a formula fed infant
- Have a child under 5, including foster children
Most of our lessons, application forms, fact sheets and other materials are available in PDF format. If you do not already have it, you can download Adobe Reader to access these files. Download here