Donate Milk. Save Babies…
Because just one ounce can save a life.
“Mother’s milk is liquid gold for babies who are fighting for their lives. It can mean the difference between life and death.” – Dr. Jeffrey Hanson, Neonatologist at Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children
Can I donate milk?
Taking care of your baby is your first priority. Once you’ve established your milk supply and your own baby’s needs, becoming a donor might be an option for you. Use these simple guidelines to determine whether you can donate milk:
You are LIKELY to qualify as a donor if:
- You are in generally good health
- You are a non smoker
- You are taking no medications on a regular basis
How do I become a donor?
- Call the Milk Bank at 303.869.1888 or visit our website.
- Our trained lactation consultants will do a short phone pre-screening.
- We will then send you the comprehensive screening form to fill out and send back.
- Next, our lactation consultant will call you to set up a blood test, at no cost to you.
- Once you sign the donor consent formand your doctor signs the medical release form, you are ready to donate milk.
- We will provide you with containers and make arrangements to pick up your milk.
That is all there is to it!
NOTE: In most cases, we accept previously collected milk. Please call for more information.
What happens to your milk after you become a donor?
- Milk is received and stored in large freezers maintained at -20° C or colder.
- Milk is pooled together into large flasks, then poured into sanitized glass bottles.
- The bottles are placed in a pasteurizer, brought to 62.5° C, and pasteurized for 30 minutes.
- The bottles are cooled immediately, labeled and placed in freezers.
- A small sample of the milk is analyzed to assess fats, proteins and lactose.
- A sample from each batch is sent to the lab to be tested for any bacterial growth.
- Once approved, the milk is sent coast to coast to babies in hospitals and homes.
Please call RCPC for more information: (907) 456-9000
Mothers’ Milk Bank is a program of Rocky Mountain Children’s Health Foundation.facebook.com/milkbankcolorado